GPhA Welcomes New Board Member, Mike Raya, CEO, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals
GPhA Contact: Steve Arnoff 202.249.7113
West-Ward Contact: Keri Butler 614.272.4774
WASHINGTON, DC (May 23, 2016) — Today, the Generic Pharmaceutical Association (GPhA) announced Michael Raya, Chief Executive Officer, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, will join its Board of Directors.
“Michael Raya is a proven industry leader whose addition to our Board will accelerate our work with Congress, the FDA, stakeholders and others to ensure that generic drugs and biosimilars continue providing millions of Americans with safe, effective and more affordable alternatives to costly brand products,” said Chip Davis, President and CEO, GPhA.
West-Ward Pharmaceuticals offers oral solid and injectable pharmaceuticals to chain stores, wholesalers, distributors, health systems and government agencies. The company is the U.S. agent and subsidiary of Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC. Raya holds a Master’s degree in industrial pharmacy from Long Island University, a Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry from St. Francis College, and is a graduate of INSEAD’s International Executive Program.
“My Board colleagues and the association’s professional staff have been terrific stewards of the industry. I am honored to add my voice to GPhA’s leadership on critical issues of medicine access and affordability,” said Raya.
Generic drugs are 88% of prescriptions dispensed in the United States but only 28% of total drug spending. Generics saved the U.S. health system $254 billion in 2014, according to the annual Generic Drug Savings in the U.S. report compiled by the IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics on behalf of GPhA.
The 2016 GPhA Board of Directors includes:
• Debra Barrett, Teva Americas
• Heather Bresch, Mylan N.V. (Chair)
• Robert Cunard, Aurobindo Pharma US
• John Ducker, Fresenius-Kabi
• Peter Goldschmidt, Sandoz US
• Jim Kedrowski, Sun Pharmaceuticals
• Bertrand C. Liang, Pfenex Inc. (Chair, GPhA Biosimilars Council)
• Marcy Macdonald, Impax Laboratories
• Paul McGarty, Lupin Pharmaceuticals
• Chirag Patel, Amneal Pharmaceuticals
• Tony Pera, Par Pharmaceuticals (Secretary/Treasurer)
• Michael Raya, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, a Hikma Company
• Joseph Renner, Zydus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
• Richard Stec, Perrigo Company
• Alok Sonig, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
• Jeff Watson, Apotex Corporation (Vice Chair)
• Craig Wheeler, Momenta Pharmaceuticals
About West-Ward Pharmaceuticals
West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC, is a top ten generic pharmaceutical company in the US focused on providing a broad range of differentiated generic pharmaceutical products across a range of dosage forms. West-Ward has sites in New Jersey, Ohio and Tennessee.
GPhA represents the manufacturers and distributors of finished generic pharmaceuticals, manufacturers and distributors of bulk pharmaceutical chemicals, and suppliers of other goods and services to the generic industry. Generic pharmaceuticals fill 88 percent of the prescriptions dispensed in the U.S. but consume just 28 percent of the total drug spending. Additional information is available at gphaonline.org. Follow us on twitter: @gpha.